On January 10th we teamed up with Prep Kitchen Cle to host an event featuring our rescued produce, some delicious small bites, and a chance to get to know the blogger community in Cleveland.
Not only did we have a great time, but we ate some really delicious things.
I wanted to share these two cauliflower-centric appetizers that I whipped up for the guests. These bites are not only easy, but very flavorful, so I know you're going to want to try them at home! We made a grilled cauliflower & asparagus brushetta, and a charred cauliflower tikka masala hummus. You can serve either with veggies, grilled bread & pita, or on top of a large bed of greens if you aren't in the appetizer mood! Here's how I did it.
Grilled Cauliflower & Asparagus Brushetta
1 Perfectly Imperfect cauliflower, whole
1 bunch Perfectly Imperfect asparagus
1 Perfectly Imperfect lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley
3 tablespoons capers
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
fresh grated parmesan for the top
1. Preheat a grill to high, and spray head of cauliflower with olive oil, or any non stick cooking spray. Grill on all sides for 3-4 mins per side, until char marks appear, and cauliflower gets soft. While cauliflower is grilling, add asparagus, turning every few minutes, until char marks appear on each side. Pull both cauliflower and asparagus from grill and let cool for 10 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, capers, olive oil, parsley, and salt & pepper. Stir to combine dressing. Add sliced red onion.
3. Chop charred cauliflower and asparagus into small pieces, small enough to fit on a piece of baguette. Add to bowl of dressing, and toss to combine.
4. Plate family style next to grilled baguette for serving, or place small scoops onto a slice of baguette and serve assembled. Shave parmesan over the top of the finished dish, and serve.
Charred Cauliflower Tikka Masala Hummus
1/2 Perfectly Imperfect cauliflower
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 small clove garlic, peeled
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons curry spice, like this.
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sesame oil to drizzle on top
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped for topping
1. Preheat grill to high, and char cauliflower until grill marks appear and cauliflower is soft, about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally. Pull from grill and allow to cool.
2. Once cauliflower is cool to the touch, chop into small florets and add to a blender or food processor. Then add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic clove, tomato puree, curry spice, chickpeas, and a pinch of salt.
3. Pulse or blend on high until you have a creamy texture, I like mine smooth like traditional hummus, but feel free to leave it a little more chunky if you like that texture.
4. Pour into a large serving bowl, drizzle with sesame oil, and sprinkle cilantro on the top. Serve with assorted cut up veggies, grilled pita, and grilled baguette.
We hope you love these recipes and try them at home!
Tag us on instagram, @perfectlyimperfectproduce, so we can keep up with your foodie journey!
Thanks for another fabulous week!