I'm not sure what I love more, taco night, or 30 minute meals. Luckily this week, it's one in the same.
If you saw the deep green and shiny peppers in your box, you got some poblanos! They were left to go to waste at a local wholesaler. We knew you could get creative with them.
Poblanos are a mild to medium hot pepper, all of them ranging in an assortment of heat, and if you're not a huge fan of the fire, feel free to remove the seeds and stems like a bell pepper or jalapēno! Poblanos have a crisp crunch like a bell pepper, with a touch of sweetness. They add depth of flavor in cooking, and I think they make the perfect addition to chicken fajitas. If you don't eat meat, you can sub tofu or cauliflower for the chicken, and this veggie mix would be perfect over grilled fish for fish tacos!
If you're eating low carb, you can stuff these peppers with shredded chicken, ground meat, drizzle the top with your favorite enchilada sauce, a sprinkle of cheese, and bake in the oven for a low carb take on enchiladas! The possibilities are endless.
To make our poblano fajitas, you need some peppers, onion, some lime, a little salt, pepper, and cumin, and 25 minutes to make it all happen! Let's dig in!
Poblano Chicken Fajitas
3 Perfectly Imperfect poblano peppers
1 Perfectly Imperfect white onion
1lb chicken breast
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Sides & toppings of your choice- tortillas, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, tomato, cheese, cilantro, sour cream
1. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with non-stick cooking spray or a drizzle of oil.
2. Thinly slice peppers and onions and add to skillet, stirring occasionally, until onions start to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
3. While veggies are cooking, thinly slice chicken breast, toss in cumin, salt, and pepper, and add to skillet with veggies, stirring to combine.
4. Cover skillet and let veggies and chicken cook for 10-12 minutes, untouched.
5. Once chicken is cooked through, sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve family style with tortillas and lots of your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do, and that you make it in your home! We love to see what you come up with each week, so be sure to tag us, @perfectlyimperfectproduce, on instagram! We appreciate all you share in helping us eliminate food waste in Ohio! Thanks for another great week, friends!