We are seeing RED this week! Red peppers and red tomatoes! So we are making pasta!
Let's talk these little tomatoes, shall we? Grape tomatoes are usually my go-to in the winter, when tomatoes aren't in season and don't taste like a tomato should. These little guys are not quite sweet yet, which make them perfect for cooking.
Roasting the peppers and tomatoes adds depth of flavor, while bringing out their natural sweetness. You just rough chop the veggies, roast and blend. For richness, I added some cream, but you can add almond milk or leave out cream all together. The sauce is delicious just as a veggie component.
This recipe is also perfect as a pizza sauce, swirled into olive oil for bread dipping or blended with extra stock to make a quick soup! The pasta-bilities are pretty vast, so if you try something different, let us know! Let's dig in!
Roasted Pepper & Tomato Pasta
2 cups dry pasta
2 Perfectly Imperfect red peppers
1 pint Perfectly Imperfect grape tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken or veggie stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 clove raw garlic
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to broil and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta to directions on box, strain and set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, dice bell peppers into large chunks and add them and the grape tomatoes to the baking sheet, broiling for 8-12 minutes, until vegetables are charred and softened. Keep an eye on them, checking every few minutes to ensure they don't burn.
3. Transfer veggies to a blender or food processor, adding broth and garlic and blending until smooth.
4. Pour sauce into a large skillet and stir in heavy cream, bringing sauce to a light simmer. Add cooked pasta and combine. Sprinkle cheese and stir again.
5. Serve with additional parmesan and herbs, with a side salad and enjoy!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do, and be sure to tag us in your food photos when it makes its way to your table! If you haven't check us out on instagram yet, @perfectlyimperfectproduce, be sure to give us a follow. We share background on the food we rescue each week, who we partner with and we share customer creations on Sundays! Thanks for another great week!