Phew, we've almost made it to Friday and this weekend we're celebrating Cinco De Mayo! If you're throwing a party, or wish to remember The Battle of Puebla with a Margarita, try adding the mangoes from this week's box into the blender. Yum.
This recipe can easily be made into a mocktail if liquor isn't your thing, just sub orange juice or water for the tequila and you'll still have a very delicious beverage to sip on! Sugar here is optional- depending on how ripe your mango is. The more ripe, the sweeter it will be, so feel free to give the mango a little nibble to see if you'd like to sprinkle in a tablespoon or so of sugar! It's up to you!
Cutting a mango can seem intimidating, but I'll break it down for you simply in two ways.
1. Peel the skin with a veggie peeler and cut about an inch into the fruit, you'll feel the separation between the pit (or "stone") and the flesh. The pit is white, but covered in the mango, so you won't see a typical brown pit like in a peach or an avocado. Do your best to slice down both sides and then two smaller slivers on the edge. You can use those 4 pieces for the recipe.
2. Instead of peeling, cut the same 4 pieces against the pit, and then with a knife, score little cubes into the flesh, all the way to the skin, not cutting through and then with a spoon, scoop the fruit away from the skin, and you have your diced mango ready to use. Let's dig in.
2 Perfectly Imperfect mangoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup water
4 ounces Tequila of choice, or 4 ounces of orange juice
1 T sugar (optional)
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 lime, cut into 4 quarters for garnish
24 ounces sparkling water or tonic
2-3 T salt for rim
1. Place mango chunks, optional sugar and water into a blender. Blend on high until smooth.
2. Add tequila or orange juice and blend again until combined.
3. Rub a slice of lime on each of the four glasses and dip an edge into some salt for a rim. If you don't like salt on your rim, you can use sugar. Fill with ice and divide the mango mixture evenly among the glasses. Top each with 6 ounces of sparkling water, and garnish with the lime slice. Enjoy!
We hope you love this refreshing beverage as much as we do, and when you recreate it at home, be sure to tag us on instagram, @perfectlyimperfectproduce. We love to share your weekly creations each Sunday on our stories, so be sure to check those out for some new and fresh ideas! Have a great weekend, and thanks for another great week!