If Perfectly Imperfect Produce was a fortune teller, our crystal ball would most certainly be in the shape of a squash. As we look into the future, we can see an abundance of it heading our way!
We love squash. It's so versatile, has a long shelf life and can be a great side dish, or perfect as the main entree. We love it roasted, with cinnamon sugar and butter, cubed up and added to salad, pureed into a soup, or like this week's recipe- turned into an oven baked fritter.
If you love hot wings, this fritter recipe is for you. Pair steamed squash with some quickly sautéed kale, buffalo sauce and blue cheese to make a batter for these fritters. They're great on a salad, little slider buns, or paired with other PIP box goodies to make a delicious buffalo inspired fall sandwich. Let's dig in!
Buffalo Squash Fritters
Makes 6 small fritters
1 Perfectly Imperfect acorn squash
1 bundle Perfectly Imperfect kale
1 T oil
2 oz crumbled bleu cheese or shredded cheese of choice
1/4 cup buffalo sauce
1/4 cup bread crumbs or almond flour
1 tsp garlic, freshly minced or powder
2 slices sourdough- toasted
2 T ranch
1/2 Perfectly Imperfect roma tomato, sliced
1/2 Perfectly Imperfect avocado, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil and set aside. Cut the acorn squash in half and microwave for 10 minutes, until squash are softened. Let cool to the touch.
2. While squash is cooking, pull kale from stems and slice thinly. Sauté in olive oil for 3-5 minutes. Let cool.
3. Scoop seeds from squash and save for roasting! Scoop steamed squash into a bowl and mash. Stir in buffalo sauce, blue cheese, egg, garlic, bread crumbs and kale. Form into 6 evenly sized patties and place on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. You can eat these as is, dipped in ranch or buffalo sauce, on a salad, or make a sandwich.
5. Toast bread, spread ranch on each side, layer the squash fritters, tomato and avocado. Dig in!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Be sure to tag us on instagram, @perfectlyimperfectproduce, when you recreate it in your own kitchen! For other ways to order and donate to eliminating food waste, find us at perfectlyimperfctproduce.com. Thanks for another great week, PIP friends!